Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Who Am I - The Answer


Okay, so now I'm convinced that I need to answer the question, "Who Am I?"


But putting everything I am into words seemed like a daunting task. I wondered, "Where do I start?"


Remembering the example of the two overlapping circles (from my June 6th post), I decided my first step was to discover what was in my "Talent Circle" and my "Motivations Circle".

As a quick review, the "Talent Circle" contains all of the talents, skills, abilities, giftings, etc... that you have while the "Motivations Circle" contains all of the activities that you love doing, that give you energy, that excite you, that you are passionate about.

Where these two circles overlap is called your "Sweet Spot". This is where you enjoy doing something that you are good at. This "Sweet Spot" is where the happiest people in life exist. They have built their lives around doing activities that they love to do, that they are good at doing, and that actually gives them energy to do.

Sadly, most of us are existing outside of our "Sweet Spot". In fact, many of us are existing completely outside of our "Talent and Motivations Circles"! This means many of us are in careers, doing jobs, or building our lives around activities that:





  • We don't even like


  • Actually drain us of energy


  • We aren't really that good at


  • That don't use any of our greatest abilities

Recently I heard someone say, "Being good at something is NOT reason enough to do it." This matches perfectly with my story. I've been able to be 'good' at lots of things! But just because I can do them doesn't mean I enjoy or should be doing them.

In order to truly experience a life of passion, meaning, significance, purpose, etc... I need to





  1. be using my best talents, gifts and abilities


  2. be doing things that energize and excite me

The philosopher Confucius once said,

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."


Well that sounded very appealing to me! As I looked at some of the great actors, athletes, business people, etc... I found that many of them were saying things like,

"I can't believe I get paid to do this! I absolutely LOVE my
job!"

It finally dawned on me that the reason these people were able to say this is because they were all living in their "Sweet Spot"!

It was now time for me to find my sweet spot!


I started by performing a Google search for topics like "skills assessments" and "career placement tests".

I came across a website called Assessment.com that had a FREE assessment. Now, like most people, I have limited funds to work with, but I knew that I could afford "FREE". So I took the 73 question test and it only took me about 20 minutes.

The results were amazing! This test absolutely pegged me! Although it only showed me the first half of each description, I was amazed at how accurately it was describing me. It was putting my gifts, skills, personality traits, etc... into words that when I read the descriptions I though, "That's exactly what I was trying to say but I just couldn't find the words."


After several days of pouring over the results, I decided to go a head and purchase one of the smaller packages.

In my next post I'll continue sharing what I learned about Who I Am and how I started breaking down the information I received from my Assessment.com report into information I could use!

Below is a link that you can use to take your FREE Assessment.com report. Go ahead and click on it and start taking your test right now. Yes you have to register with an email and password, but don't worry, they've had my info for almost 2 years and they have never once sent me any spam.

Get started on your test today and I'll continue my story on my next post.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about this post! Put your comments here: